Sunday, September 20, 2015

You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me!!

I came home one day this past week to find that a package I had ordered had arrived in the mail that day.
When I saw the box sitting on the table where my husband had set it, it occurred to me that it wasn't a very big box to hold what I knew to be inside.
That right there scared me a little bit, already.
Then I picked it up and I could hear things knocking together inside.
Fragile things.
Um - not a good sign, right?
It was also dented - a little smashed on one corner.
Seriously, I was getting upset - and I hadn't even opened it yet!
I decided to take pictures of every step as I opened the package - you know, for evidence.
(I am not showing you all of the pictures here.)
I figured I needed to document how they'd been packaged if I was going to have to try and get reimbursed - or whatever.
When I carefully CUT open the top of the box and lifted it open, this is what I saw:
Excuse me! (?#%@&*!!!)
Again - this - (see photo taken by bewildered recipient, below) - NO bubble wrap, no tissue, no wrapping nor protection of ANY kind and two items inside that are nearly 50 years old, and quite fragile.
Like, "they-could-chip-if-you-look-at-them-cross-eyed" kind of fragile.
Seriously, folks have you EVER??
What kind of person packages something like that?
O.M.G.
And this was not even a sturdy box, but a thin "no protection from getting smashed" type of food packaging box.
Remove the items - nothing left inside, see:
Oh, I mean nothing except a couple of little tell-tale paint scrapes on the side there where my fragile, collectible, beautiful items rubbed against the side of the box in transit.
Here's one more shot of that flimsy box - just for effect, you know:
And yet - this is a miracle, there's no other way to explain it - somehow, they made it from Pennsylvania all the way to California without getting smashed to smithereens.
Here's the proof:
And here:
 They are in remarkably good condition, despite the poor packaging.
I absolutely could not believe my eyes.
One more look at their crowded quarters where they resided, side by side, for their journey across our great nation:
Boy, oh boy - am I lucky or what??
"Lucky, indeed", she said, in the understatement of the century.
And I am very, VERY happy that they made it here safely.
Yes, I surely am.
But not too happy with the person who mailed them.

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I was going to say "What an idiot" but I don't want to be impolite. I am so so glad for you that they made it safely. They are really great! I once ordered a group of china dishes and they came in a box made for display at the store, I think two out of a group of twelve were okay. That has been years ago. Enjoy your lovely ladies, and I hope they don't need to travel again. Love T

Beth said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad they made it. I would have cried if they had broken.

Diane said...

Unbelievable!! In packaging and the fact they survived. I'm amazed.

Phyl D said...

You're absolutely right to feel indignant, but that flimsy packaging (a Manwich box, really?) is just killing me...
Heidi Ann, having been a fan of your blog for ages and constantly marveling at the nifty treasures from the past that you keep unearthing for our nostalgic enjoyment, I have come to think that you, dear girl, travel under a very special star...or perhaps, it's just all your positive energy that you put into this blog coming back to you! Anyroad, I'm so glad that these treasures arrived unharmed.

Heidi Ann said...

Thank you everyone! And - Phyl D, that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. You have no idea how much that means to me.

Georgia Peachez said...

It's mind boggling how the post office can safely deliver a package like this, but then crush and destroy other packages that have been so carefully packaged. Those contents are one insanely fabulous score. Jealous, jealous, jealous.

Laurie - Lolo So Retro said...

Crazy packaging - so glad your items were not destroyed!

Laurie S