Monday, September 21, 2015

It's a Good Day For Gingham

I love gingham, and that's probably the reason why I have written a number of posts about the cheery pattern.
Today's post is going to start off with two of my vintage Betsy McCall dolls, both dressed in gingham.
So cute in pink - with rickrack, even!
And this little Betsy has a red gingham dress with a sweet apron added:
I found the next couple of gingham items at a thrift store.
This is a vintage kit for an embroidered tablecloth that somebody started working on years ago:
A Bucilla Needlework Kit with farmyard animals.
A "Dinette Cover" is what they called it, as you can see:
And I found a second kit in blue, but I discovered that within the same bag there was also a matching set of napkins, AND the original embroidery floss that was included in the kit.
Look how cute the designs are:
Last of all, we have a brown gingham cross-stitch embroidered apron that I added to my collection (also a thrift find, of course!), and I paired it with a "thrifted" blue gingham blouse, just for fun:
Here's a close-up on that embroidery:
 Gingham is just such a happy fabric, isn't it?
I've got an idea: how about a National "Wear Gingham" Day?
Wouldn't all the participants look nice?
(Unless there already is one that I didn't know about.)

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I'm digging out my gingham so I will be ready for National Wear Gingham day! I love all your pieces. Watch out, your red gingham Betsy is about to lose her shoe. Love T

Anonymous said...

That embroidery on gingham is called chicken scratch in Kentucky.

GSGreatEscaper said...

Gingham is the official state fabric of Massachusetts - that's what all those textile mills in Lowell, Lawrence and Haverhill manufactured!

Gail Travis said...

I had been wondering if you were close to the fires. I love gingham. When I was 10 had a skirt and blouse made of pink and blue gingham, half and half. I remember being asked if I ran out of fabric.