Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mr. Jolly's Sidewalk Market

I found the cutest vintage book last week at a thrift store:
 Mr. Jolly's Sidewalk Market, written and illustrated by Laura Jean Allen, published in 1963 by Holt, Rhinehart and Winston.
I had never seen it before, and it's awfully cute!
 Each two-page spread shows Mr. Jolly and the people around his market as they go through each month of the year.
I think I'll share them with you each month.
Sounds like a plan.
The one thing you can count on with this sweet little book is this:
No matter what the time of year, Mr. Jolly says "Oh, Dear!".
Have a Jolly holiday, won't you?

4 comments:

lorlore said...

Such a cute book!!!!

Diane said...

Looks very cute!

Tina Dawn said...

Looks like a cute book, I will be looking forward to seeing the other pages. I used to have a landlord named Mrs. Jolly, she lived in Camino in a really neat old farm house which has been torn down now. I hadn't thought about her in years, thanks for the memory. Love T

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow..my childhood best friend's mom was a Jolly and her dad owned a market! I still remember the song she told us that they would sing at her dad's market (which would've been in the '30s-'40s)..."my name is phineas jolly, I live on market street, it's where you buy fresh vegetables and everything good to eat." ��