Monday, October 20, 2014

The Spice Islands Cookbook

I picked up this cookbook at a thrift store simply because I really like the lovely illustrations inside.
"The Spice Islands Cookbook", printed in 1961.
The colorful and pretty illustrations inside (done by an an artist named Alice Harth) just needed to be shared:











And I figured it was only fair to share a couple of the recipes with you, too.
We have Noodles Romanoff, which sounds pretty darned good to me:
And then, here is a recipe for "Hangtown Fry", which, as the story goes, originated in Hangtown, back "in the Gold Rush days in the Far West":
Hangtown, California , that is - now better known as Placerville, which happens to be where the Gold Country Girls grew up!
So, put that in your pan and fry it!

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

That is a very different, tried to fancy-it-up Hangtown Fry recipe. Sounds interesting. Love T

farmlady said...

I think my Mom had this book. I remember the cover.
She use to make Hangtown Fry for us. So good...

Diane said...

Very cool!