Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What's Penny Wearing? #85 Organically Grown By Arpeja

Today, Penny is showing you a sweater I bought back in the 70's:
It was a particular favorite of mine. I loved the little deer:
I even still had the little tag with the extra yarn for mending wrapped around the base of the little tree:
Here are a couple of advertisements for the same brand of sweaters from mid-seventies Seventeen magazines. You can see that the one on the right, below was a similar style to mine:
These sweater jackets are cute, too:
I sold my sweater a while back. It was too small for me.
(Kind of a bummer, though - I just happened to find one that sold recently on eBay for nearly three times what I got for mine.
Shoot.)

5 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Pretty little sweater, I bet you were cute in it. Love T

Penny-Rose said...

oooooh that is so cute, I would wear it too. Do you have any photos of you wearing it?

Phyl D. said...

Ahhh, another blast from my past (smiles), I'm sure I had several of the "Organically Grown" sweaters, so cute and comfy...just did a little Google search on the Arpeja company and found out that there were several sister labels to this company back in the day, including Young Edwardian, Young Victorian, Young Innocent, Tail Feathers, L.A. Station, Pipeline and Circuit West (I bet you could find some of them advertised in your old copies of Seventeen Magazine, too). If you search for "Arpeja" on Etsy.com (and Ebay), you'll find some amazingly funky and gorgeous vintage clothes, and some seem to be surprisingly affordable.

Heidi Ann, I know you've written so well about your love for both Gunne Sax (Jessica McClintock) and Betsey Johnson's designs in the past - you might be interested in knowing that California clothing designer, Sue Wong of www.suewong.com was one of Arpeja's principle designers back in the late 60's/early 70's and her work was/is on par to both McClintock and Johnson...

Unknown said...

OMG that is the most adorable sweater!! Wish they made more like that today.

yosemite faith said...

i had several oraganically grown sweaters too - if i wouldn't have gotten too big to wear them - i would still wear them. i eventally donated them.