Saturday, August 18, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Sis Lori here today: I found a recipe on Pinterest for some homemade laundry detergent. I don't wash many clothes myself so half of this recipe I will keep for myself and the other half I gave to my daughter and her family. Here are the ingredients:
1  4lb. 12 oz. Box of Borax
1  3lb. 7oz. Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1  3lb container Oxi Clean
2  14.1oz. bars Zote soap or Fels Naptha
1  4lb. Box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1-2  55oz. Bottle Purex Crystals Fabric Softener

 I grated the bars of soap and I halved the ingredients to make two separate batches, was a little easier to mix that way. Just add it all in large bowl and stir it up.
 I had 2 of these 10 lb. containers saved from work so 1/2 of recipe fit perfectly, gave one to my DD and save one for myself. The ingredients were only about $20 and all you need is 1-2 tablespoons per load of laundry. This will last me forever and it smells so good. Cleans very well, does not produce much suds at all, but definitely gets your clothes clean!!!!! I also always wash with cold water and that is fine, too.
My load is just done and I love the smell of my clothes!!!!

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

You are so resourceful! I know it smells great before using, so I can imagine how great you smell now. Love T

farmlady said...

I'll bet it does smell good. Using so little per load makes it really cost effective.
Thanks for a good idea.

Heidi Ann said...

I will have to borrow a bit from you and try it! I'm intrigued....

Andy's Attic said...

Thank you so much for the receipe! I will try it out. I hate buying laundry detergent that doesn't really clan the clothes!

The Brittons said...

Love it! Have had the ingredients for homemade dish soap but haven't done it yet. This looks good too'

Paul Duca said...

In the words of Julia Sugarbaker, when a house guest inquired if she had some lavender for her bath, responded "No, but I have some 20 Mule Team Borax"
(Julia was not too happy with the person--a woman older than herself who was having a liaison with her college-age son).