Monday, May 2, 2011

Lee's Casserole Recipe

We had a LOT of ham left over from our Easter dinner, so one night last week I decided to try a recipe I got from a friend. Four years ago, when Lori and I took a trip up to Oregon and Washington, we were lucky enough to be able to stay with some old friends who used to be neighbors of Lori's in Placerville. They had moved to Medford, Oregon. They graciously let us stay with them in their gorgeous new house for a night before we moved on. For dinner that night, Lee served us this casserole, and I loved it so much that I wrote to her after we returned home to request her recipe.

Lee's Stove Top Casserole
1 box Stove Top Stuffing Mix
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup sour cream
8-16 ounces cubed, cooked ham
3 ounces Craisins
Prepare stuffing mix as directed on package and set aside.
Combine condensed soup, sour cream, ham and Craisins in a bowl and spread into a 7X11 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Fluff stuffing with a fork and spread over top of ham mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
I was able to enter the ingredients on Weight Watchers website to determine the Points Plus value per serving. I used 12 ounces of ham, light sour cream, and 98%Fat Free Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. It came out to 7 WWPP per serving when cutting it into six portions. Serving it with broccoli and a salad made for rather an enjoyable meal when we tired of ham sandwiches!
I only wish it hadn't taken me four years to make it! We don't have ham very often, and I never thought to try it with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. My husband and I both loved it. You can, of course, adapt the recipe to use either turkey or chicken, and a different flavor of stuffing mix (the Cornbread variety is very good with ham), other types of cream soup, even other dried fruit, I suppose.
This one's a keeper for us, that's for sure.
Thanks, Lee!

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Sounds very tasty for a simple and easy recipe, and 7 points plus is not bad. Thank you for sharing. Love T

yosemite faith said...

good goin heidi. on W.W. how many points are you allowed in one day?

Miss Jean said...

I just bookmarked this post. I'm for sure going to try this recipe. Sounds delicious.

farmlady said...

Oh my, this does sound good. I may try it with chicken.
Thank you.