Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Vintage Christmas Greetings from California

Good morning. Tina here. Are your Christmas cards in the mail yet? I finally mailed most of mine (except to those closer to us) yesterday.

When postcards were very popular (about 1905 into the 1920s) postcard Christmas greetings were all the rage. In this post I am going to share a few vintage California Christmas greeting postcards. I have collected a few of these and may collect more, since I am such a sucker for not only postcards but any vintage California items.
Palm trees, poinsettias, and poppies... about as California as you can get.
Same format, different pictures, this time the beach, and another greeting poem.
I was always amazed at the poinsettias and fuchsias blooming in my grandparents' yards in Southern California in the middle of winter.
Wow, what a giant poinsettia! Showoffs! Here in Northern California another Christmas blooming flower is the camellia. They look so delicate but can start blooming in mid-December.
Poppies start blooming here in early February some years, and in Diamond Springs we had a large holly "bush" that could now be a tree.
A Yosemite waterfall graces this lovely Christmas Greeting.
Since I have an "extensive" (as they say) collection of California bungalow postcards, I have to include a California bungalow in the winter.
Heidi has a postcard somewhere that says "California looks good to me, roses in midwinter". Roses in California is a very common and popular postcard subject.
A lovely falls and more poppies and holly.
Hope you enjoyed our vintage California Christmas postcard tour.
Christmas and New Year Greetings to you from the California Gold Country.

5 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Oh those *are* vintage! Love them! :::Waves hello from rainy southern CA::: lol...

Heidi Ann said...

SUCH a great holiday post, Tina!!
It incorporates three of my favorite things: vintage Christmas, antique postcards, and our home state!!

yosemite faith said...

i love love love vintage holiday postcards. what a great post!

Jill said...

I love your California postcard collection~ I have a thing for vintage Christmas postcards, but I never thought to focus on the California ones. I guess I really haven't seen any before. Thanks so much for the fun "show & tell"!
Hugs,
Jill

Unknown said...

Those are great and so colourful. Have a lovely week Dee x