Sunday, December 19, 2010

Barbie Dress Up Day #14 Skipper's Skating Fun


No Barbie this time - it's Skipper's turn today - in her "Skating Fun" outfit.
Here she is again, below, wearing it on the cover of this vintage Barbie magazine.
I saw the magazine in a shop window on Thanksgiving when Lori and I walked downtown after dinner to do some window shopping. I went back just two days ago, and I thought for sure it was gone, but I looked all over the store and found it! See - it waited there just for me. How often does THAT happen?

I do not remember how old I was when I received my blonde Skipper doll for Christmas. I was so happy! I loved her. I think I got the doll in her box wearing her little red and white bathing suit , and then I was also given one outfit - "Skating Fun". The doll and outfit you see here are NOT my originals from back then.
You see, this story has a sad twist. We three girls went out to play that nice Christmas day, and I took my Skipper with me.
But then I LEFT HER OUTSIDE.
And our dog bit her arm off at the elbow.
I know.
I don't even want to think about how much trouble I got into. I believe I may have deleted it from my memory.
Yet, somehow - I think my beloved doll losing her arm before she even had a chance at life was somehow punishment enough for me.
Many years later, I found another Skipper, and I found the skating outfit, too. Naturally, I had to make them mine. I just realized that you can't really tell it in my photos, but this doll does have both of her arms intact.
(P.S. I'm sorry I was so careless with you all those years ago, Skipper. I truly am.)

5 comments:

Protector of Vintage said...

Great memories! I never had a Skipper doll, but I dressed my Scooter Barbie doll in this outfit instead.

Tina Dawn said...

I should have been watching over you so you didn't leave your toys outside. I probably got in trouble too, that's the way it usually worked. I am glad you found another complete Skipper, she sure is cute. Love T

yosemite faith said...

a. dor. a. ble. and of course it was waiting there for you - you are a gold country girl and thats how it works.

Candice said...

My twin sister and I loved our blonde Skipper dolls because her hair was identical in color and style to ours. They lived with our mother after we grew up and moved away until last year when mom died. Our Skippers also had the skating outfit and many others. We decided to sell all of our dolls (Skippers, Barbies, Ginny, Cheerful Tearful, etc. We don't have the room to store them, but they brought us many hours of happiness as little girls.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I think losing an arm is better than chopping all her hair off! She looks pretty good I say!
I have one issue of the Barbie magazine and love it! Some day I will try to collect them all. They are fun to read!

Lindsey