Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween With Better Homes And Gardens

We'll start with this lovely scene, photographed at the home of the Yasmineh family near Minneapolis, which was used on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens in October of 2000:
A sweet little poem "Jack O'Lantern Fever" from BHG, 1939:
A cupcake recipe from 1939:
Ideas for some "Spooky Snacks", 1959:

And some "Spooky Cupcakes" (from 1961):

This is a "Jarrahdale" pumpkin, fitted with a pot of black mondo grass, curly willow branches and pumpkin peppers from last year's October issue:

One more gorgeous photo taken at the Yasmineh home:

And I'll leave you with a recipe for Golden Pumpkin Muffins from October 1968;
2 c. packaged biscuit mix
1/2 c. sugar
1&1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1 slightly beaten egg
2 tbsp. cooking oil
Thoroughly combine biscuit mix, sugar, and spice.
Combine milk, pumpkin, egg, and oil.
Stir into dry ingredients till blended.
Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) about 20 minutes.
Makes one dozen muffins.
I decided to try these, and I added raisins:
And a little Laughing Cow, while still warm from the oven.

They were just okay - not as spicy, nor as moist as I would have liked. I'll try a different recipe next time.
(I'm sure I probably even have a more recent one from another Better Homes And Gardens magazine!)

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Your muffins looked great, too bad they weren't what you wanted. Less bisquit mix, I think the mix does tend towards dryness. I love the spooky cupcakes. Love T

jamie@midcenturymania said...

yum! I love the Yasmineh outdoor area. So lovely.

Anonymous said...

Hi:

My name is Evan and I work at a digital advertising agency called Night Agency (nightagency.com). We recently launched a new community called HAIKYU (haikyu.com) where people can submit their own work as well as voting for their favorite Haiku. It’s a great way to discover new work, get recognized, and even win prizes. After seeing your Blog, we thought you and your followers might be interested to join our new and upcoming Haiku community. To celebrate the launch of this new community we are running a contest until October 31st where the Haiku with the most votes will win $250! It would be great if you could share the site with your followers/readers/fans and send us any and all feedback you may have (info@haikyu.com).

Thank you for your time, and please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Evan

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Hi Heidi! I always love the October issues of magazines. They are so homey. Lovely pictures and the treat ideas. Thanks for the recipe critique. I hope you have a lovely day! Twyla

farmlady said...

Love this post. It's so Autumny and Halloweenish. Lovely photos.

Biscuit mix tends to make a dryer muffin. You can add applesauce to it. That helps sometimes.
The other day I watched Glada De Laurentiis on the Food Network and she made these Pumpkin Cupcakes which I'm going to try. Without the frosting they would be delicious for breakfast with your cheese slathered on top.
Here's the link. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/mini-pumpkin-cupcakes-with-chocolate-frosting-recipe/index.html
I'm making them, with frosting, to take down to my grandchildren this weekend.

Heidi Ann said...

Thank you for the input, everyone. I used reduced fat Bisquick, maybe that made a difference, too. But I really haven't ever baked with it much - so I appreciate the tips.

yosemite faith said...

i love october issues of magazines also.