Sunday, March 7, 2010

What's Penny Wearing? #26 - Oscar Glam

Penny is trying to help me out with deciding what to wear to the Academy Awards (in my dreams) tonight! The dress is a given - this black moire gown with fishtail hem that my mother-in-law made in the 1930's:
And this necklace that was hers, as well:
I think I'll take along my black velvet shawl with sequin trim - to keep the chill off my shoulders!
Hmmmm...which bag? Black velvet or the silver mesh?
Or perhaps this one? The elbow length black velvet gloves are a must:
I think we've narrowed it down to either the velvet pillbox-shaped purse, or the silver mesh with the rhinestone clasp:
When I found the dress packed away inside of a box in the closet, these two bow-like pieces were with it, but not attached. You'd have to see the dress in person to see that they don't really seem to be meant as a bow or a sash - I'm thinking some type of epaulets that attached at the shoulder to drape down over the top of the arm instead. The broken (on purpose?) art deco style buckle was with them, too. We won't be attaching them tonight:

So..... what time does my limo arrive???
Is the champagne chilled.........?

7 comments:

yosemite faith said...

what a fantastic find and wonderful dress!! OMG and the accessories! woohoo heidi ho!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You are going to look Fabulous, dahling! Twyla

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Last year Chuck and I got free tickets to Oscar Night at the Sonora Opera Hall. Everyone was dressed to the nines. Wish we would have scored some this year because I'd take you as my date! That dress is absolutely stunning...I can't believe the stuff you pull out of your closet!

Tina Dawn said...

I loved your blog. Don't forget to thank your family for making you who you are (LOL). Wonderful dress. Your MIL was so fashionable. Super accessories. I love the purses. Don't forget to wear some shoes, though. Love T

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, my, gosh, Tina - you're right! I forgot the shoes! Maybe I will take a picture and add them later.

yosemite faith said...

by the way i love the pill box velvet bag!!! *want*

farmlady said...

I would wear the black velvet gloves and the silver mesh purse. The dress needs gloves and the purse will add some bling to accent the neckline and necklace. Oh yea!
Let the party begin....