Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Nasturtiums

I just wanted to share some pretty pictures of nasturtiums today. They are my sister's favorite flower. Aren't they lovely?
I do not know where I got these first three pictures. If you recognize them as being yours- please let me know, so that I can give credit where credit is due.
My sister collects nasturtiums. Like nasturtium EVERYTHING - I'm not kidding. Her house is FILLED ( nearly to the brim) with TONS of beautiful things - mostly vintage, but not limited to that. And she collects many other types of things, as well. One of these days, if I can ever talk them into it (or help them, or both), I want my sisters to post on this blog, too. They could show you pictures of their collections and creations, as well. When I started my blog, I called it Gold Country Girls because I had hoped they might participate some day. We'll see.
Here, you can see some of the flowers on a pretty vintage bowl (with somebody's tomatoes). I can't WAIT for summer tomatoes!
These next two pictures are ones that I took in Fort Bragg, California. These flowers are prolific there - they love the sea air, the moisture.
They thrive.

Their round leaves can get big enough to be used as a plate! And the flowers are edible. Pretty, huh?

5 comments:

Lorlore said...

I'm not the sis that collects nasturtiums, but I think they are beautiful!! My personal favorite is the Daffodil.Nice photos! And you are right, she has them literally all over, it's neat!!

yosemite faith said...

very pretty pictures - and i can't wait for tomatoes either!!!! john has been planting his big garden ever since he returned from his road trip.

Anthony said...

Beautiful flowers! Nice photos, too! I was not familiar with these Nasturtiums.
That would be neat if your sisters joined the blogosphere! Seems like it would be a fun group project.
Thanks for the kind email, btw! I replied, so I hope you got it...

Tina Dawn said...

Well, I don't know if I could find the time to blog, it might detract from collecting nasturtiums. I need a new computer and a better internet connection before I even can dream of helping. But YOU can continue to dream ;-) and maybe it might come true. Obviously I LOVE this post. Great pictures. One thing nasturtiums like about Fort Bragg also is the temperature, not too hot, not too cold, so they can grow all year and not die back in the winter. All parts of the nasturtium are edible, flower, seeds, leaves (not sure about the roots!) Thank you for this post! My tomatoes are almost ready to flower. Can't wait either. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I am always amazed that you find such interesting things to blog about every day. Your posts are always inspiring and informative. I would love it if your sisters would join you. I'd love to see some of their collections too! Twyla