Saturday, February 21, 2009

My "Marbleized" Collection

Today, I thought I'd show you my collection of vintage "marbleized" accessories - mostly vanity table items. Hairbrushes and a comb:

Tray, hair comb, and four shoe horns:
The tops of two large hand mirrors:
My smallest mirror:
Powder boxes, and I think the one with the hole in the top is a hair receiver?
Now, this is a little different - the top of this is covered in old linoleum or something. I love my step stool! We keep it under a small work table in the middle of the kitchen. I'm short, so I use it a LOT:
And this CHAIR. I was so excited when I found this! I've never seen another one like it. The white part is a heavy plastic, and you can see it's messed up. I think I need to remove all of it, and just paint the wood white. The green parts are all solid and perfect.
I don't actually even remember where I got the chair (although I know I wrote it down somewhere). I think I've had it for about 10 years. Another vintage treasure I will never want to part with.
We also have five vintage clothes hampers with the marbleized lids. I didn't get pictures of those!

8 comments:

yosemite faith said...

wow!!!!!! love these items! so many things i have never seen before - i love marbelized things - i also love faux bois things too. what a great collection heidi!

Pearl said...

I've never seen such a great collection like this before... How fortunate that you've been able to find so many wonderful pieces! Indeed, you were correct... that is a Hair Receiver... both of my Grandmothers had, and used, them... sadly, I've no idea what came of them over the years. Would love to see your hampers sometime!! Hope your weekend's going well...

~Pearl

Anonymous said...

I love this collection - I don't own a single marbelized thing. That chair is amazing. And I think that is a hair jar - I have a porcelain one that's part of my pap-pap's dresser set. I have no idea why they saved hair, although I have seen Victorian hair wreaths. Talk about creepy ...

Missa said...

Beautiful collection, I just love those colors!!!

yosemite faith said...

i don't know if this is the reason for the hair receiver but i have seen hair 'jewelry' and hair 'clips' etc made from hair (pins too) on antiques road show - and if i am correct they weren't worth very much!

Pearl said...

Regarding the "use" of "saved" hair... Both of my Grandmothers saved their hair after brushing/combing... They each had long hair... at night, they'd do one long braid, for sleeping... at the end of the braid, instead of using a rubber band, the would use their own hair! They would take a small amount and roll it in their palms to form a "string", and then wrap it around the end of their braid to hold it in place for the evening... Not sure what other uses they had for their saved hair.

~Pearl

yosemite faith said...

pearl - i know what you are talking about. my grandma had braids past her waist and except for washing it or for church - she would comb it out once a day (during art linkletter) - rebraid it and wrap it back up around her head - and i - thanks to you - never remember her using rubber bands - she must have used her own hair to secure the braids. thanks for bringing that memory back to me!

Monica said...

I have some marbelized things on my dresser, but not as much as you!!!!!! I love that chair!!!!