Friday, January 16, 2009

Barbie's Bell Dress

This post was inspired by Twyla and Lindsey's Barbie Wednesdays posts, and by having seen Jacqueline Kennedy on the news programs recently, with all the talk about inauguration dresses. Here is one of my vintage Barbies in her Bell Dress:
I had found this picture of Jackie a while back, and I saw that her frock was similar. Sorry I don't know who designed her dress, but perhaps Oleg Cassini?:
Barbie's dress came in three colors "orange" (which is more of a peachy salmon color to me!), pink, and blue. With pearls - I don't have those - but Jackie did! Here is the dress on two different page-spreads from 1962 Barbie booklets:
I have said before that if I became a billionaire, one of the first things I would try to do is amass a HUGE vintage Barbie collection. I would want EVERYTHING. Yes, it's my childhood doll dream.

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Great find on the Jackie dress! Barbie is really in style isn't she? Love T

Anonymous said...

Fun! Aren't Lindsey's Barbie Wednesdays fun, too! And I'm not even a doll collector!

Unknown said...

You and I share the same childhood doll dream!

Heidi Ann said...

Deb - I had no idea we shared that same dream! Okay - so now I'm picturing Barbie Play Dates for only Grown Up Little Girls!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I LOVE your Barbie post! Sorry I didn't see it sooner! That's a beautiful dress. And is that the Fashion Queen Barbie that has a painted head and wigs?
I'm so happy that you did a Barbie post. I hope that some day you can have a giant Barbie collection!
Lindsey

Heidi Ann said...

Thank you, Lindsey! Somehow, I knew you'd like this post! Yes - it's the Fashion Queen in her funky blond bubble wig!

Protector of Vintage said...

Oh, I wish I had that dress. Love the style!!

You have a wonderful blog. I have to add it to my list. Thanks for visiting!!