Thursday, December 18, 2008

Santa-Glo

We just love our Santa-Glo in this house. Vintage light-up Santa - here is the original box:
And the Santa who came inside:
In the photo below are my husband and his older brother circa 1952 , standing in front of the fireplace, with Santa at the center. I had no idea they used to have him there every year at Christmas. Before his parents passed away, I brought home a Santa-Glo I had found at an antique mall in Rancho Cordova. My husband said - "Oh - where did you find that?" - and told me the story (that they used to have one like it). When I bought him, it was the first time I had ever seen one of these. We still have the candle holders you see at either end of the mantle, also. Oh , and I even found their old Santa - broken, and missing his light. Plus, I have since purchased another on Ebay.
This year, I put him at the center of my mantle decorations - the same fireplace that you see in the picture above. But he is surrounded by a multitude of other Santas this time. I don't do simple.

Dear little Santa-Glo, right back where he belongs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are posting during this busy season. I can't seem to get my act together to do so, and I've just loved coming and visiting you with all the lovely and sweet pictures that take one back into time. Thank you for TAKING the time!

Tina Dawn said...

I am so happy that Santa-Glo has lots of company. He looked a little lonely in the 1952 photo. Can't wait to visit him in person. Love T

Celestial Charms said...

I really admire your Santa-Glo. I never saw one like that.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog!

Greetings from germany!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love your Santa display! I have never seen a Santa Glo before but you can be sure I will be looking for one now! Twyla

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love having the box, too? He's a keeper.

Loretta said...

That is just the cutest story! I'm stuck in your blog. I think I came here from Whimsy Daisy. I get stuck in blogs really easily and I just love yours. I have a styrofoam Santa that was put in the middle of the Christmas tree every year until I moved from home in 1982 and then put it in the middle of my tree. I retired it a few years ago because it became too delicate. What memories!