Saturday, October 4, 2008

High Noon


High Noon is one of my husband's favorite movies. One of the boys gave him the DVD, above, for Christmas a few years ago. We've had the VHS version for years:
It's such a superbly done film. Gary Cooper won the Academy Award that year for Best Actor. What a handsome man he was!
Another movie still, Mr. Cooper with the beautiful Grace Kelly:
They filmed parts of the movie nearby - in Columbia, and near Jamestown on the Sierra Railroad. When my husband was a little boy, his mom took him to Columbia during filming, and he got Grace Kelly's autograph. No one knows what happened to it, though. Can you imagine someone throwing that away? I can't - but then I save everything.
He bought the signed print above on eBay. The previous owner had pasted the signed print onto a fabric background! The fabric didn't even look right as backing. I had to cut it, and luckily I had a frame on hand that suited it well. And of course, we had to get the sheet music, too. This song won another of the film's four Oscars - for Best Original Song:
Definitely a classic.

1 comment:

Tina Dawn said...

What a great thing for a mom to do, take her young son to meet movie stars in Columbia! I bet the autograph is stuck in a book somewhere, maybe as a bookmark. Love T