Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Captain Kangaroo


I don't know about you, but I grew up watching The Captain. (Lucky little Betsy McCall got to go meet him!) His show was on long enough that it spanned a couple of generations. You know, he came into our homes almost daily - and he seemed like such a nice man. You couldn't help but love him, like he was an extra Grandpa or favorite uncle! Mr. Green Jeans was equally nice. I think my favorite "character" was Bunny Rabbit, but we also got to enjoy Mr. Moose, Dancing Bear, the Grandfather Clock and more, all of them there for our amusement and education.
Sadly, we lost Bob Keeshan in 2004, but I have managed to find a few books to keep his memory alive.
And there's always YouTube!
Thank you for all the years of enjoyment, Captain and friends.

8 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

We must have grown up at the same time. My mornings would not have been complete without Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans. Thanks for this lovely memory. Twyla

Anonymous said...

I grew up watching the Captain, and right after that show was "Romper Room," which I loved too. Did they have that show where you girls grew up, H? It was on the San Francisco station when I was a kid in Monterey.

Bella Della said...

I haven't thought of him in ages. I grew up watching Captain Kangaroo. What good memories.

Frankie said...

I loved Captain Kangaroo. When I was about 7, I learned that we shared a birthday, which made me love him all the more. =)

Thanks for bringing back happy memories!

Karen Jo said...

The music is going through my head right now. I haven't thought of it for years. Also, how wonderful to hear of someone else remembering Romper Room. I grew up in the Bay Area, and I loved that show!

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

definitely a Mr. Green Jeans Gal myself.. and Bunny Rabbit was so naughty!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Oh boy! What memories, all good. Thank you.

Tina Dawn said...

Hi Kari. Yes, we had Romper Room. I loved the magic mirror. Miss Nancy never did say hi to Tina though. Not while I was watching anyway. We got a San Francisco station when I was little, Channel 2, and it had Captain Satellite. I don't remember what his real name was. Heidi was probably too young to remember him. Also, I too loved Captain Kangaroo. He did seem like a Grandpa. Always great to have an extra Grandpa around. Love T