Thursday, August 7, 2008

White Stallions

Last night I watched the Walt Disney Production "The Legend of El Blanco". I had recorded it back when the Disney Channel used to have neat OLD stuff on. I wish they still did -but I'm sure glad I have some of the programs. I didn't remember ever having seen this film. It was first shown on the television show Sept. 25th 1966, so it is possible I saw it then. As was usual, the program was introduced by Walt Disney - this one was telecast less than 3 months before he died. The film itself was, well - let's just say... unusual, as it was "narrated" largely in song, performed by Los Tres Con Ella and Pepe Callahan. I enjoyed it, the horses were gorgeous ( with Assam as El Blanco), and I will take any excuse to see Walt.
I also remember seeing "The Miracle of the White Stallions" years ago. I'm not sure that I saw it during it's theatrical release - perhaps it was later shown on The Wonderful World of Color or elsewhere on TV. I do remember feeling that it was a very good movie (not to mention the fact that it has Robert Taylor in it!), and I'd like to watch it again sometime. At a church sale recently, I purchased this 50 year old National Geographic Magazine specifically because it has a 20 page article about the Lippizaner stallions.
The article is accompanied by some great photographs, such as the one below.
The World Famous Lippizaner Stallions are currently on tour in California, headed to Oregon, and onward from there. They were actually in our area last week, but I'm sorry to say we didn't go. I imagine that would be a great show to see!

2 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I saw the Miracle of the White Stallions so maybe we saw it at the movies. I don't remember either. I would love to see them in person, also. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

My kids and I were lucky enough to get to see the Lippizan show in the late '90's when they came to Springfield. It was a very enjoyable show. I do miss the old Disney. I'm glad my kids had those shows when they were growing up. Have a nice weekend! Twyla