Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter Baskets Abound


What will be found inside your Easter baskets? Perhaps a sweet chirping surprise like this little guy, above? (An illustration from A Surprise For Mrs. Bunny, 1953) You could line a lovely basket of goodies with a gorgeous embroidered runner featuring a basket of blooms like this, below:

Or maybe this one?


Perhaps you are lucky enough to have a darling little girl like sweet Shirley Temple, here, to prepare a basket of treats for?

If you live in the country, maybe you could take a walk and collect baskets of springtime blossoms to include, like the ones gathered here by the adorable children in this Tasha Tudor illustration. (From The New England Butt'ry Shelf Almanac)

For me? Well, I wouldn't mind one bit if you tucked in a special box of chocolates like this one from See's Candies that I've shown in the picture below. I love the design on this box, which is an updated version of an original design by Dorothy Gray Forbes, who worked for the company for more than 50 years. She designed the black and white box top, which is still used, and her classic posters are still used in the shops. I love her unique artwork, and I hope that this box is the first of many in this style!

2 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

These are all just lovely. I consider my granddaughters to be just as darling as little Shirley (even though they can't tap-dance, and although my hair tends to ringlets, theirs does not). They are getting little metal sandpails with High School Musical and Hannah Montana on them with stuffed bunnies inside (and a little bit of candy... just a bit). Their little "step"-brother gets a Pirates of the Caribean bucket with a bunny. Maybe a little bit more modern than your pretty photos but they will like them and I figure they might come in handy during fishing or gold-panning expeditions. Happy Easter Heidi Ann. Love T

Heidi Ann said...

Oh - those sound so cute - I am sure they will love them! And yes, your granddaughters are adorable!