Saturday, January 3, 2009

Then And Now #25 - Comstock Pie Filling

Comstock Apples for use in pie-making - this advertisement is from 1956:
And this is how it looks now:
Homemade fresh apple pie is better, of course. In fact - we just had some delicious apple pie made by my sister for dessert on Christmas night. I suppose if you are in a major hurry, this filling in a can would be useful for a quicker version. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was in such a hurry that I wouldn't rather take the time to peel and slice fresh apples. But I still can appreciate the fact that products such as this are out there for busy people who just don't have enough time in their days!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Heidi! We have 2 early apple trees and I have a bunch in the frezzer for pies, crisps and cobblers! Yum! I'm NOT a good crust maker though. :<

~ Hearts ~

yosemite faith said...

same here - as far as crust goes. johns mom could make the best crust literally in a blink of an eye. for me - good crust making is a lost art. so is the true cobbler not the imitaions they pass of as cobblers now. john has planted lots of fruit trees that will eventually (we hope) bear fruit. there are lots of crab apple trees around parts of the farm - the deer love them!

Maison Douce said...

Apple pie is my favorite, but you are right, there is nothing like the real apple!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Have a wonderful new year!!
Isabel

Tina Dawn said...

Glad you liked the pie. It was pretty good, if I may say so myself. If I use canned filling it is usually for cherry pie. I LOVE canned cherry pie filling. Especially on ham. When I worked for the So. Calif. Automobile Club in the early 70s they had hamsteak and cherry sauce in the cafeteria and I got hooked on it. YUM. Love T